At the recently opened Steve Jobs Theater, Apple announced an all-new line of products including the iPhone 8, iPhone X (“ten”), the Series 3 Apple Watch with cellular (yes you can use existing bands and chargers) and an Apple TV with 4K and Dolby Vision HDR! We’ve put together a concise list of facts to highlight some of the major improvements for the 10th anniversary round of iPhones:
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus Highlights
- Construction: strongest glass in an iPhone ever, aircraft grade custom aluminum body, water and dust resistant
- Processing: A11 Bionic Chip (neural network), 70% faster than the A11 chip and uses a fraction of the power
- Charging: Qi wireless charging which is industry standard and in millions of stores and products around the world – charges through the glass body of the phone
- Display: Apple’s True Tone display with white balance and the best color accuracy on a phone, automatically adjusts the percentage and intensity of temperature to the lighting of your environment so the screen always looks great
- Cameras: AI portrait lighting mode scans the subject’s face and environment to change the lighting effects real time. Video up to 4K 60fps or 1080p 240fps
- Sound: 25% louder stereo speakers with deeper bass
iPhone X Highlights
- Screen: full edge-to-edge 5.8-inch Super Retina OLED Display with Dolby Vision HDR and 458 pixels per inch – best color, contrast and brightness ever in a phone: 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio
- Processing: three core GPU is up to 30% faster than an iPhone 7 and capable of industry leading Augmented Reality applications and games, equally as powerful as new 13″ MacBook Pro for some processes
- Charging: Qi + AirPower wireless charging for iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and AirPods with one device. Also fast-charge capable
- Front Cameras: TrueDepth camera system performs regular front-facing camera tasks, but it also uses an infrared system to analyze over 50 muscle movements so you can make a dozen emoji mirror your own facial expressions in real time – these are called “Animoji”
- Facial Recognition (see Q&A below): uses 30,000 dots to scan your face, live, and in 3D to create a more accurate, touchless way to unlock your phone. A local hardware neural engine (capable of 600,000,000,000 operations per second!) tracks changes in hairstyle, facial hair, weight, age etc. with a 1:1,000,000 accuracy level of security
- Back Cameras: larger and faster dual 12MP cameras on the back, horizontally aligned when the phone is in landscape mode, and an optical image stabilization mechanism for each lens
- Battery: custom battery design plus hardware and software upgrades add two hours to battery life compared to the iPhone 7
What About Unlocking With Facial Recognition?
How does the iPhone X know when to unlock with FaceID?
It uses multiple sensors in the TrueDepth camera system to scan your face (infrared dots, flood illuminator, dot projector…). It uses AI to recognize attention, so when you look at it, the iPhone X will unlock then you can swipe up to open. It requires attention to unlock, it does not unlock if you are near it but looking away
Can it scan at an angle?
What about when we are wearing sunglasses?
Yes it should, and hats, scarves…
Depends on what the masks cover
What if we grow a beard? Lose weight?
It adapts over time and recognizes these changes
Can we unlock the phone without facial recognition?
Yes – you can still just set and use a passcode
How well does it work in low light?
Since it uses infrared (IR) sensors, it can work in any type of lighting
What if it is raining or there are strange colors, like from the reflection of an umbrella?
Not a problem
Will it unlock with a picture of me?
No – unlike old technology, FaceID uses many different sensors to create a 3D image of your face so it cannot be tricked by photographs
Can we turn FaceID off?
Will it work with my twin?
Potentially…set up a passcode to unlock your phone instead!
Can someone hold it to my face when I am sleeping?
No because it requires you to be looking at it and paying attention to it
Have any other questions? Feel free to stop by our stores or give us a call at 919-263-2699 any time!